Monday, February 27, 2012

Surfer's Paradise

Friday, Feb 17
We woke up and took the bus into Surfer’s Paradise.  Note to self- it’s worth the $20 extra dollars for a convenient hotel near the beach.  We paid less for a hotel further away, but then ended up spending at least $12 a day and 45 minutes travel time to get to the beach.  You learn something new everyday.
Jackie Chan's holiday home












Today's events: Island Cruise in the harbor of the Gold Coast. We arrived at our destination and loaded on the boat.  The crew was so nice.  Once again, the passengers and crew picked up on my accent right away.  We had fun talking about Texas and Australian differences and similarities.  The Island Cruise started out in the channel just inland of Surfer’s paradise.  We cruised passed numerous sizeable multi-million dollar homes, including the holiday home of Jackie Chan (see above). 

Gold Coast's Marina Mirage

We also viewed the famous Marina Mirage, Queenslands’ ultimate waterfront shopping and dining resort.   It sits opposite of the 5-star Sheraton Resort and Spa where many celebrities vacate.   Our guide informed us that the same architect of the Sydney Opera house, Jorn Utzon, designed the white sail-like, shell-inspired structure.
The view of the hotels and condos in the city was beautiful.  We stopped at a beach and snorkled some.  I have to say, the visibility was poor and the fish were lacking.  I only recall identifying one type of fish.  When I took an underwater picture, the entire frame was grey and brown.
However, we had fun playing cricket on the beach, and yes, contrary to popular belief, I can hit the ball!  They use a bat that looks more like a paddle and when they throw the ball, it bounces first and then you hit it.  As opposed to baseball, when you hit the ball, you don’t run to a base.  So, you just keep swinging until you get out, which occurs when the pitcher throws the ball, you miss and the ball passes you and hits one of 3 stands behind you.  Kind of different, but I liked it.  Not that I would play it for hours on end, but I’m trying to learn more about sports around the world and look at me, being all athletic!
We had a beer on the beach, I collected my sand sample and then we saw some dolphins.  They weren’t too close, but still, we saw them!  Then we boarded the boat for some lunch. We then sailed along the channel into the open ocean and spotted a few sea turtles.  Did you know that sea turtles’ primary food source is jellyfish?  I would have said kelp, but I was wrong.  Then we came along what looked like seaweed, but it was, in fact, a large school of fish at the surface of the water.  They were trying to dodge the larger fish nibbling on them from underneath.  It was neat to see this up close.  These fish are similar to the ones in Finding Nemo- the ones that make different shapes altogether, as a way to protect themselves from their predators. 
I'm driving the boat!
On the boat, my nickname became “Texas” to the crew.  (This keeps happening!)  So, the captain called out, “Texas, Want to drive the boat?”  Ummmm, yes!  So I drove us back- with all 30 passengers a little worried for their safety.  Not really, but it was fun to actually drive a bigger boat.  I’m surprised they let me.  At one point we came up to a bridge and I had a momentary freak out when it looked like we would be too tall to make it.  Don’t worry, I didn’t crash us.  I think I did provide a little comical relief for all involved though.  
I nicknamed the crew while we were aboard.  There was Gilligan- the guy with the fisher hat.  Dolphin man- the guy who spotted the dolphins.  He would call out a dolphin call whenever we played cricket and the ball was coming my way, so I knew to pay attention and try to catch the ball.  He could tell I was a born athlete.  (Note the sarcasm) And then there’s the captain who I referred to as Clooney, since he was rocking out the salt and pepper, George Clooney style. 
After the day on the boat, we headed back to the hotel to change for the night’s festivities.  The bus ran late and it took a long time to get back, so we had to rush getting ready.  However, we made it back, all done up.  We went on a booze cruise of sorts down town.  Essentially, you are with a large group of people and you go from one bar to the next.  It’s supposed to be a “Vegas” down unda.  Kristy and I were not that impressed.  The guys were awkward, young or lame.  We kind of did our own thing and ended up talking with the bouncers and guys who ran the operation.  They were nice.  Then we headed back to the hotel.  Heals are not fun to walk in for long periods of time.  Why do we do this to ourselves, ladies? Oh right, beauty knows no pain.  Gotcha. 


1 comment:

  1. I read your post,your story is very exciting. we also love this type of place to expend my holiday. I have one other new about Cronulla Beach. you may like also.

    ReplyDelete