Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Auckland

Friday, Jan 27th


Auckland is the capitol of New Zealand.  It was a bit drizzly when we arrived, but that didn’t matter to us, because Wayne and I had one goal for today- to bungee jump from the Auckland Bridge.  Commercial bungee jumping actually began in New Zealand. A J Hackett made his first jump from Auckland’s Bridge in1986.  Hackett continued to perform a number of jumps from many other structures, including the Eiffel Tower.  He built public interest and opened the world's first permanent commercial bungee site in the South Island of New Zealand. We signed up and paid our $150 and were on our way.  Mama and Granny went as viewers. 




They were still able to walk up the bridge and see the city and our jumps.  This was so exhilarating!  Another favorite day for sure.  It was a 40-meter jump.  We climbed up the bridge and went into a pod that sat just under the bridge.  It felt like a space ship.  Then we waited our turn until it was time to jump.  I am officially an adrenaline junky now.  That moment when I had to jump, 
everything froze for a moment.  I looked down and it seemed to never end.  I couldn’t believe I was actually going to jump.  Then before I could psych myself out, I jumped.  And fell.  Free falling like that is unreal.  Its like you’re flying for a split moment.  And then I suddenly felt the water rushing on my face.  I dipped into the water and then sprang back up.   Then down again.  The third spring up and I yanked the cord that lets me turn right side up.  Then they hoisted me back up, half soaked, grinning from ear to ear.  I couldn’t contain my exhilaration.  I was by far the most vocal about my experience.  

The guys who run this little operation are professional yet chill.  David Beckham, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, and several other celebrities have jumped from this bridge.  I’m jumping with the stars, eh? After that, we were happy to return to the ship, since it was raining.  What an experience. 

Climbing under the bridge, Auckland high rises in the background

No comments:

Post a Comment