Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Dunedin and Port Chalmers



Saturday, Jan 21

Unfortunately, we had to miss out on Oban due to inclimate weather.  However, to compensate for that port loss, we enjoyed 2 days in Dunedin and Port Chalmers.  So, Granny, Wayne, Mama and I walked through the streets of Dunedin on Saturday.  We walked in several beautiful cathedrals.  Catholicism is the predominate religion in New Zealand and Australia.  Whenever traveling out of the US, I love walking through the chapels.  In America, the churches seem to be more concerned about vandalism, so the doors are rarely open.

One of my favorite moments in one of the chapels was when I walked in and the organist was practicing.  I just sat there, soaking in the music.  I love pipe organs. They are such fascinating instruments. Maybe in heaven I can play the biggest pipe organ ever, with notes that don’t exist now, and I’ll actually be able to play it.

We also visited the train station in Dunedin.  The architect who designed the station is nicknamed the "Gingerbread Architect" because the station looks somewhat like a gingerbread house (see right).  I loved the ornate features of the outside walls and the beautiful gardens in the foreground.  Wayne enjoyed taking pictures of the bumble bees in the flowers.  









Sunday, Jan 22


Port Chalmers is a quaint little town with character.  This port of call was a surprise to me.  I knew I would enjoy Auckland and the Milford Sound, but I didn’t realize what a hidden treasure Port Chalmers would be.  Since it was Sunday, we decided to attend the local church service.  (This was Granny’s idea, and it was a wonderful one!) Below is the church. 



My organ debut
I always enjoy traveling and seeing places from a local’s perspective.  The service was lovely and we were treated like celebrities.  The whole congregation was warm and inviting.  They introduced themselves and shared some of the history of the church with us.  Then they had us over for a spot of tea and crumpets.  What a treat!  The organist even let me play on the pipe organ!  It’s much harder than it looks.  There are so many buttons you can push- and there are peddles too.  I’ll have to practice up so I can add that to my instruments I can play.  Unfortunately, there aren’t too many pipe organs just lying around, waiting to be played on. 









Anyone for a spot of tea?
Above is a view of the chapel from the ship.
After the church service, tea and organ session, we hiked up to some beautiful gardens and look out views.  I wanted to take some precarious pictures wherever I went.  So, I tried standing on different dangerous rocks or ledges and would strike a pose.  Mama didn’t like this too much, but she was a great sport.  I can only imagine what Paps would have said if he were there.  I’m sure he would fasten me with a harness and some type of safety net below before I could climb the tree, mountain, rock or ledge. 
It’s funny what little things remind you of different people you care about in your life.  The ice cream and hot chocolate always reminded me of Gayle.  The Surf and Turf nights at dinner (Lobster and Steak), I know Daddy would have enjoyed.  The cute boys I know Gretchen would have loved watching run by.  Every time I was laying out, I wanted Carolyn there right next to me.  I wanted to tell Carolyn about the cute boys.  I know Daniel would have wanted to bungee jump with us.  So would Tom.  He would have loved all of the hiking.  


Every time I saw a dolphin, albatross, whale, or bird, I throught of Grace and how we have a shared love for animals.  I also would have loved to dance with her on the dance floor.  Daddy would have appreciated the look out views and the calm beaches where he could relax.  But I didn’t see Dr. Pepper or Mountain Dew for sale, so he would have had some withdrawls in that department.  Several times, I wish Meagan could have been there to joke with when someone would say something funny or there would be a perfect moment for a Harry Potter quote (or She’s the Man).  I missed getting ready with Carolyn before dinners and then taking a lot of pictures. 

But I so loved making memories with Granny, Wayne and Mama.  Today was a good memory with Granny.  The service really touched Granny and we bonded from sharing in that moment. 




 We saw so many different kinds of flowers on our hike after the church service.  It's all so green here!  We also climbed some trees.  A favorite memory with Mama was when we walked down the hill back to the ship and sang some of our favorite songs together.  The Hills Are Alive from the Sound of Music was a perfect fit. 






No comments:

Post a Comment