Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Richmond

Friday, Feb 10th


We woke up and headed to another hot yoga class.  I could execute the positions with more precision, but my muscles were silently screaming afterwards.  Then, Kristy and I went to St. Kilda beach while Kim went to work.  It was very windy.  We watched kite surfers perform a series of tricks in the air.  Kite surfing is exactly what it sounds like.  There is a kite and then a board with booties.  It’s more like a wakeboard than a surfboard.  I can only imagine how tired my legs would get after kite surfing for a while.
After the beach, we wandered back to Richmond and then painted our faces and fried our hair, ready for nightlife.  It was fun getting ready with Kim and Kristy.  We had some wine and talked about boys, life and family.  It’s so neat to hear more about other people around the world and their perceptions on life.  After getting beautified, we first headed to the Precinct.  It’s a local club/bar in Richmond, just a tram ride away from Kim’s place. 



I am surprised at the skewed ratio of men to women here, about 5-10 men to 1 woman.  The men don’t seem to see women very often, because everywhere we go we are treated as a rare commodity.  It certainly is fun to get all of this attention.  My nickname here is “Tex” now.  I have to say, I kind of like it.  Any person I come into contact with comments when I say “y’all”.  Apparently I say “gaw-ley” a lot- another Texan phrase.  I say it all the time as an exclamation.  I guess I started saying it a long time ago instead of say goodness, or “Oh God” or what have you.  But everyone here seems to notice it.  I didn’t even realize it was in my vocabulary before this.  Interesting what others notice about you.  We met some nice guys at the Precinct, and then went to another bar called Burley’s hotel.  It’s funny how they will have bars called hotels, even though they aren’t actually hotels.  We met more Aussies there and had a few laughs.


No comments:

Post a Comment