Tuesday, February 14, 2012

At Sea to Wellington

Monday, Jan 23

 Christchurch was another port of call we were unable to visit due to high swells.  So, we arrived early to Wellington.  While on the ship, I curled up in the library and read The Hunger Games.  I really relate to the main character.  She is determined and cares deeply for her family.  She works hard but doesn’t always see what’s right in front of her.  She’s impulsive and strong willed, independent and yet steady.  I am interested to see how well they portray this book in the upcoming movie.  So much of the book is surrounded by her thoughts and feelings as she undergoes a number of trials.  I hope they depict it well.


We dressed up for dinner again.  I liked our routine of going to our fancy dinner and then listening to live music in one of the three lounges.  Then we headed off to the main live show.  As I mentioned in one of my previous blogs, I met several great people from all over the world, both passengers and staff.  Below are a few pictures of our fun evenings on the ship. 



















One of my favorite moments with Mom was when we watched The Man From Snowy River.  I was cold, so we snuggled and watched together.  Another time, when I was cold, I slept in her arms for a little while.  It was nice to feel like a little girl again.  I kind of miss it.  Mom is such an amazing caregiver and planner.  But she also knows how to have fun.  We enjoyed going to trivia together and watching the musicians and getting to know the staff.  She’s enthusiastic and supportive.  It was also fun exploring the different ports together and getting excited about seeing so many beautiful things.  We even saw dolphins swimming alongside the ship!


I tried to work out each morning in the gym.  It was nice running on the elliptical with Mama or showing Granny some different weight training techniques.  Running with the ocean in front of me was spectacular.  Working out became a completely different experience.  It felt as though I was running on water, Jesus style.  What an out of mind, out of body experience, listening to Annie Lennox’s song, “Into the West”, while running, the waves crashing against the ship, with no care for anything but the beauty ahead. 


“What can you see, on the horizon? 
Why do the white gulls call? 
Across the sea, a pale moon rises
The ships have come to carry you home. 
And all will turn to silver glass
A light on the water. 
All souls pass
Grey ships pass into the west. 
Hope fades, Into the world of night
Through shadows falling
Out of memory and time. 
Don’t say “We have come now to the end”
White shores are calling. 
You and I will meet again. 
And you’ll be here in my arms
Just sleeping. 
What can you see on the horizon….”

No comments:

Post a Comment