Monday, February 27, 2012

Gympie

Saturday, Feb 18th

We checked out of our hotel and moved Kristy to her new hotel that was closer in, right on the beach.  It was a trek to get our bags to the bus and then to the hotel, but we made it.  I had to figure out the bus and train situation to Gympie.  It was a bit confusing to figure out which bus takes you to which train and what time you need to transfer.  However, I am proud to say I can travel longer distances on my own with multiple transfers and make it to my final destination in one piece.

At Kristy's new hotel, there was a beautiful view of Surfer's Paradise.  Also, we laid out at her pool.  I wish my family could have been here for this pool.  It had beautiful waterfalls and Tiki huts.  It would have been perfect for one of our family pool parties (see below).  



I liked riding in the last train that was the longest ride.  It felt more like an airplane with individual armed seats and small, smelly bathrooms on board.  I read my book along the way, so the time passed by quickly.  I also watched the landscape out of the window.  It was attention grabbing to watch the types of trees change as we traveled further north.  Palm trees slowly diminished and pine trees began to populate the forest. The woods grew taller and thicker.  The terrain began to roll into hills.  The green pastures became sprinkled with horses and sheep.
I wore a Texas shirt so that my ride would recognize me.  Jan and Margot are sisters of Ian Thomas, an old family friend of ours.  They are my grandparent’s age.  They met me at the station.  What kind hosts.  They took me out to eat at a nice restaurant and we talked about Gympie, Ian, teaching, Texas, food, family, education, the works.  Gympie is a small town just north of Brisbane, the capitol of Queensland.  Gympie actually saved Queensland’s economy back in the 1860’s when James Nash discovered gold.  To this day, the town celebrates this feat with a Gympie Gold Rush Festival.  Currently, gold mining and agriculture are their primary sources of income.  The land is beautiful.   


Jan and Margot are so interesting to talk to because they have lived in Gympie all of their lives.  Along the main road, their father used to own 2 main shops.  Now they own them.  They also know and are apart of the history of the town.  They live just down the road from each other.  I hope to do that some day with my sisters.  J
It was so neat to see their house.  The doorknobs are really high, about neck level.  They have a pretty balcony that overlooks a valley with houses spotted throughout.  In the distance, you can see where Ian went to primary school.  (In Australia, Primary school is elementary school, secondary is middle school/high school and “Uni” is College/University.)  Gympie has a lovely, welcoming feel to it, similar to Bastrop or Taylor in Texas.  I felt at home. 
Mr. Thomas' Primary School, still standing and in use
(Red roof building)


No comments:

Post a Comment