Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Kid's Holiday


Tuesday, April 10th - I woke up with pain in my leg but managed to get the kids ready.  They are now on holiday for 2 weeks, so I’ll have them all day everyday.  Today they had a chess tournament all day in Strathfield.  We took the train there and then I waited in the lounge will they played 8 games throughout the day.  It was so interesting attending a chess tournament.  All these little kids were intently staring at the boards, moving pieces with caution and then slapping the button on the clock at the side of the board.  Mark and Stef held their own.  Mark won 4 games and Stef, 2.  That evening, I made dinner for the fam, then met up with Mary at Manly Wine, our “spot” and talked.  We are such kindred spirits.
Wednesday, April 11th
Today was a more relaxed, domestic day.  I made scrambled eggs for breakfast, then Dutch pancakes for brunch and pizza for lunch.  The kids were hungry today and I thought a nice unhealthy day was in order. They've been eating so well lately.  Dutch pancakes are small pancakes, the size of a quarter, in a pile with drizzled chocolate syrup and sprinkled powdered sugar.  I had some at a festival in Manly so I decided to try making them.  They were delicious. Then I helped Mark with his Japanese homework.  Yesterday in the train, we played a story telling game.  I noticed how creative and imaginative Stef was during the game.  So, I told Stef she would be an amazing writer.  She took that to heart because that inspired her to write a book today! She wrote a book on the computer with three whole chapters, complete with pictures and a title page!  I’m so proud of her!
I also cleaned the kitchen and managed to take a shower without getting my bandage wet.  Impressive, right?    


Friday, April 13th
I took the kids to Shelly beach to fly kites, swim, go on a bush walk and have a barbie.  We had a blast.  The kites were a total flop, due to the lack of wind.  But it was quite entertaining for the other beach goers I'm sure- picture me holding up the kite as I tell Mark to run for his life and thus resulting in the kite's immediate desolation into the sand.  I think we got it up the air two times... We'll have to find a more windy spot next time.  It was quite comical.  I'm glad the kids were in a jovial mood.  We also enjoyed making sand castles, complete with bridges, motes, fortified walls and an entire village surrounding the castle.  Then Mark happily smashed the creation with his “wrecking ball” made of sand.  He’s quite the avid demolitionist. 
Our bush walk
That evening I had dinner with Tom.  We went to an Italian place that was delicious.  It’s actually run by a nice Asian family Tom has come to know.  We enjoyed talking over our nice dinner and wine.  Then we watched a rugby game with his roommates- nothing more Aussie than that.
Saturday, April 14
I enjoyed sleeping in and then I joined Mary, Laura and another au pair at a café in manly.  We ate sushi and swapped world travel stories. Then Mary and I made a German dinner at her place.  She says that in Germany they don’t have many hot dinners.  Their heavy and hot meals are at lunch.  For dinner we had rye bread called Pumpernickle with jam and other spreads, meats and cheeses.  (All I could think of was Prince Humperdink from Princess Bride, so I called the bread Humpernickle... we laughed during a large portion of the dinner.)  It was tasty, in spite of its name.  Then we beautified ourselves and went to Coogee to meet up with Tom and his friends.  


We listened to live music and talked with Tom and his boys.  It was fun swing/country dancing and chilling at this local hot spot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment