Friday, April 27, 2012

Coogee to Bondi to the fridge to the hospital ;)


Monday, April 9th- I woke up and headed to Tom’s for a day out in the fresh air.  We ate breakfast at a cute café in Coogee.  Then we hiked along the coast from Cooge to Bondi.  There are about 5 beaches along the walk with stunning views of ocean and coves.  I’ll have to go back another time to snorkel.  The water was exquisite shades of blue. It was so nice taking in the fresh sea breeze air.

Once we made it to Bondi, we played in the waves, swam and layed out.  It was fun splashing around in the water and lounging, listening to music.  
When we got back, Tom was stocking the fridge with a few groceries when suddenly, the shelf fell.  I laughed at him, but then he fell to the ground with a leg cramp.  Once it went away, I went over to the shelf to put it back in the fridge and tidy up.  After I placed a few things on the shelf, it fell again.  Silly me. But then I realized my leg felt funny.  Then I saw blood.  I told Tom I thought I was cut from one of the bottles that fell.  He came over and scooped my leg up and told me to look away.  Tom and his roommates are male nurses so they know what to do in these situations.  I told him I was fine. But then he looked at his friend and then soberly told me I would need stitches.  Really?  No way. I hate needles.  He searched for glass in the wound and then wrapped it tightly.
So, we walked, (well I did a sort of hobble, stanky leg walk), to Tom's hospital he works at and they admitted me in the emergency room right away.  I had to get an x-ray to make sure there weren’t any foreign objects in the incision.  Fortunately, one of his easy-going, well-qualified friends stitched me up.  The only painful part was the shots.  All of his other friends on duty came by to visit which took my mind off of the procedure.  It was quiet entertaining actually.  I was the celebrity guest in the emergency room.  All of Tom’s doctor and nurse friends were cheekily critiquing the doctor working on my leg.  He was friendly and did a wonderful job.  After the painful shots to numb the wound, I initially looked away as he stitched me up.  Slowly, I grew interested in the process and watched.  It was cool seeing him sew me up like a piece of fabric.  I felt like I was suddenly back in a high school lab, dissecting a frog or baby pig.  It didn’t seem quite real. 
We were in and out of the emergency room in less than an hour, thanks to Tom.  There is no way that would have happened in the States.   I shuffled back to Tom’s humble abode, also known as the Murse Mansion (Male Nurse…murse, haha) and we ate a home-cooked dinner, provided by Tom, while watching the movie.
Whew.  What a night.  I guess I’ll at least have something to bring back home that will forever remind me of my adventures in Australia.  

No comments:

Post a Comment