Thursday, April 19, 2012

Hillsong, Pavlova, Hunger Games and Angel


Sunday, March 25th
I met up with Katelyn to attend HillSong, a world-renown megachurch in Sydney.  It was quiet the production, with wide camera angles of the band members, smoke on the stage and booming speakers.  I found myself focusing on the close ups of the guitarist or the elaborate outfits of the singers…it was too much of a show for my tastes.  The music, or entertainment, was more of a distraction than a form of singing to God. However, I did really enjoy the sermon.  The woman who spoke was very passionate and well educated.  She spit out scripture with great application and relatable stories.  I liked how scripturally sound it was.  My travel time was a little over an hour and a half to get there, so I still don’t think I’ve found my church home yet. 
For lunch, Katelyn and I ate at a small café with two of her guy friends.  We enjoyed talking theology when I noticed there were some of the singers sitting near us.  When I asked who they were, they pointed to a girl mesmerized with her soup.  She was thinking seriously about something.  She’s quiet famous actually- Brooke Fraser.  She sings Hosanna, my favorite.  It was unreal to be at a café with the singers of Hill Song United.  At Austin Stone we sing their music all the time.  How cool!  Then I met up with Tom for sushi in Coogee, the beach just south of Bondi.  I really like Coogee.  And I like that Tom always treats me well and pays for everything, even the taxi fare. I usually take the train to Central and then he picks me up from there.  But if his roommates have his car then I’ll take the taxi back to Central.  We had fun laughing and talking at the local Coogee sushi joint.  What a quaint town so is close to the beach.

Monday, March 26th
I caught up with Paps and Granny, Mom, Dad, Grace and Allison on Skype.  It was nice talking to them.  Then that evening, Emila taught me how to make Pavlova, an Australian delicacy.  After whipping egg whites to add air into the egg and sugar mixture, you blog it onto a pan and then in the oven.  It hardens into a shell and then the middle shinks.  Then you add more creamy goodness inside the sunken shell and top it off with berries and whipped cream.  It’s a tasty science experiment.   I’m excited to try to make it myself.  I’m sure my friends and family back home will love this recipe. 

Tuesday, March 27th
I met up with several other au pairs at the cinema to see Hunger Games.  We waited until Tuesday because it’s a cheaper night.  Going to the movies is so expensive here! It costs between $17 and 20 bucks!  On Tuesdays it’s only $11.  Only… really?  I think I’ll be watching the rest of my movies on DVD or on the computer.  I thought the movie was okay.  However, since I have read the books, I felt there wasn’t enough time to relate to or build a connection with the characters. 

I also found out about my precious dog, Angel, today.  She is sick and has to be put down. She was always so happy to see me.  We loved to snuggle together in my bed. I will never forget those long nights when I was potty training her as a puppy.  It was the first weeks of school, but I got up every time she whined and took her outside so she would learn what “go potty” meant. Although it was tiring, she was so sweet and small and lovable.  I secretly liked getting up just to see her again.  Angel was there for me through hard relationships. She would lick away my tears. I will never forget her tender spirit.  She wanted to be with me all the time. When I walked into the room, she would go static, jumping and licking and full of utter joy to see me.  We should all experience that kind of explosion of affection when we see someone we care about.  Why don’t I greet my loved ones with the same kind of exuberant salutation?
When it came time for her to give birth to her puppies, she was uneasy and scared, as any mother would be.  But it also wasn’t going well.  I was playing the harp at a church service, but rushed home for the last 2 puppies.  The moment I walked in and sat with her, she instantly calmed down.  When the contractions continued, another puppy slipped out, but wasn’t breathing.  Cupping him in my palms, I swung him down to remove the mucus logged in his nose and mouth, preventing him from breathing.  When the puppy starting sucking in air, I felt so blessed to experience such a beautiful miracle.  This happened with the next puppy as well. Two miracles in one day. I am so thankful she had puppies so her sweet spirit could live on.  Even her puppy, Daisy, my sister’s dog, had a litter of her own.  Grandma Angel!  What a gift of life she was.  I am also so thankful for Granny, Mama and Paps.  Granny drove with me to choose and pick up Angel when she was a puppy.  Mama was Angel’s primary care giver for a majority of Angel’s life.  And Paps was there at the end.  Angel always loved going to the farm and Paps would put up with her running around the farm, occasionally chasing chickens.  I have such a loving and supportive family.  Angel will be missed, but I want her to be out of pain.  Goodbye, Angel.  I love you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment