Thursday, March 8, 2012

New South Whales Library, St. Mary's and Hyde Park

Monday, Feb 27 
Today I slept in- oh the joys of holidays- and prepared for my venture back to Frenchs Forest.  I managed to plan my route back, only to get lost in the city momentarily.  Luckily I found my way to the appropriate bus stop, ironically located right where my train left off.  If only I hadn’t walked in a circle for those 30 minutes in the heat… Oh well, it’s only time and exercise.  Nonetheless, I made it back to the house and then went through the afternoon schedule with Gemma and the kids.  We enjoyed a family meal again and I tried a British delicacy, Yorkshire Pudding.  It’s kind of like a fluffy, fried pancake, with gravy on top. 

Tuesday, Feb 28
New South Whales Library
Today is my last day of freedom before I start nannying full time.  Diane has to work today so I toured the city solo. I discovered the New South Whales State Library.  
I met a jovial security man who educated me about Cook and his accomplice Flanders.  Once again I was surprised by a complete stranger’s kindness.  I love libraries with small ladders and staircases.  It reminds me of the library in Beauty and the BeastI would love to have a library of my own with a sliding ladder. I might play on it more than use it, but I’m sure I could invite Carolyn over and she could use it. Carolyn can read through a book before I’ve even cracked open the cover. 
I also saw the Hospital and wandered into the courtyard in the back, as per instruction given by the nice security man.  I thought of Grandma when I made it to the Mint coin house.  There is so much history behind coins. The Commonwealth of Australia is a federal constitutional monarchy.  In other words, Australia is a parliamentary democracy with a Queen, Senate and House of Representatives with a Prime Minster. The locals are frustrated because the current Prime Minister was just re-instated.  She won the last election by clawing her way up the top and not even truly winning based on votes for her personally, but just through the votes for the party.  Politics have been a common conversation over here.  I was able to shed more light on the current situation in the States.  I fear both countries are discouraged with their government at the present.
Shakespeare Room in the Library
The elections have been a topic of conversation here, but also the new wide spread video, Kony 2012. Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc&sns=fb.   Joseph Kony is a guerrilla group leader in Uganda.  He has abducted an estimated 66,000 children and forced them to carry guns, kill and mutilate others, including family and other children. The video above has spread like wild fire, to educate the masses via facebook and other forms of technological communication in hopes of prolonging the stay of our US troops in Uganda to protect the children and people. We are at a new age of the power of technology. It's fascinating to see the effects of this video, but it's also troubling.  I have already seen kids defacing public property to spray paint "Kony 2012" on walls.  Is this what was intended?  The video campaign primarily targeted a younger generation who are not as educated on the matter and simply respond to an emotional video. I hope this new way of social change by the people and for the people works for the good and actually makes a difference instead of just stirring up a following of ill-informed people who want to help but don't know what is best for either country.
Here is a blog of my scholarly friend for more insight and input on the Kony campaign.  http://scholar-redeemer.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/thoughts-on-kony.html?spref=fb 
There are several questions to consider- Where is the money going to come from to keep the troops in Uganda to find Kony? How long can we look for him before it's too long?  What are our 100 "advisors", the troops they sent in, currently doing there now? Is there a time limit to stopping a powerful evil in a foreign country? This reminds me of when we sent troops in to find another enemy, Osama Bin Laden. Maybe this makes you rethink judging the entry of troops in a foreign country to fight against evil, not so long ago. The length of stay our troops searched for Bin Laden and weapons of mass destruction was considered too long, and that's true. However, weren't we fighting against an oppressor and threat, just as many want to do now? How long is long enough to search for Kony?
The truth is, Kony isn't the only problem in Uganda.  He is just one of the many bad guys.  And if taken out, someone will take his place.  The Uganda government isn't the greatest either.  They currently are focusing efforts on killing all gay people.  Here is an article revealing some of the truths behind the Kony video.  (Although the author is a little harsh towards the group Invisible Children and the Kony campaign, I think it's approrpiate to look at both sides of the aruguement and look deeper into what is really going on in Uganda.)  http://www.capitalisminstitute.org/kony-2012/
So, you have to ask yourself, When should the US become involved in foreign oppression? If you stand by troops to find and imprison Kony, maybe you need to rethink criticisms of the past attempts to assist the oppressed.  Many Australians feel that America should just mind their own business.  But what about, “When much is given, much is required”.  And once again we have the never relenting question of how much control should our government have and how involved should we be in foreign affairs that do not pertain to us?  When we see an injustice do we fight it, even when there is no gain for us? I think the real question should be, what is the right thing to do for our country and how do we also help those in need if possible?  We can't just enter into any country with a problem and try to solve it, thus harming our own country further.  But we also know we have a responsibility to look out for others less fortunate. I have been a part of conversations on these questions in many different cities in Australia.  I don’t know all the answers, but I think I’m becoming more well-rounded as well as strong on my convictions.

St. Mary's
I continued walking down Macquarie Street to find St. Mary’s Cathedral.  I had visited this church with Granny, Mom and Wayne right before our cruise, but it was nice to sit and pray for a bit on the pew.  
St. Mary's and fountain in Hyde Park
Then I walked around Hyde Park, a recreational area named after the Hyde Park in London.  It reminded me of my school back home, Hyde Park Baptist School.  I really enjoyed my education there.  I learned how to write well and study hard, as well as have a sound basis of my religious views and morals.  I have many unforgettable teachers from Hyde Park.  I hope to some day be a memorable educator for young ones, just as they were for me.  Mrs. Journeay taught me how to paint and said funny sayings like “Oh, crud in a bucket!” or “A turkey’s done.  You’re finished.”  Mrs. Watkins made me write papers in 45 minutes for in-class prompts.  Now I can write about anything in a time crunch.  College was much easier because of her.  She also made funny jokes and prayed for me.  Mrs. Fulcher gave me a passion for Spanish.  I talk to people all around the world in Spanish now.  She is now married to my best friend’s brother in law.  We were brides maids together in Meagan’s wedding.  Even Mrs. Morris and Mrs. Kent, my choir and theater teachers, I will never forget.  Our crazy, funny, time consuming rehearsals and choir trips.  I loved backstage conversations and goofying off when it wasn’t one of my scenes.  What wonderful teachers, friends and memories I had at Hyde Park. 
In the Library: Reads "IN BOOKS LIES THE SOUL
OF THE WHOLE PAST TIME
THE ARTICULATE AUDIBLE
VOICE OF THE PAST
WHEN THE BODY
AND MATERIAL SUBSTANCE
OF IT HAS ALTOGETHER
VANISHED LIKE A DREAM"
Writing immortalizes a person.  I will live on past death, in heaven, but also on earth, through my written words and memories passed down the family.  
I also found a church that was undergoing remolding, so the church was empty.  I sat and sang a few songs.  The acoustics were chilling.  I would love to go on a road trip to different churches around the world just to sing in them- to enjoy the acoustics and ornate stain glass windows.  Mom and I love singing Amazing Grace, Thy Word or Be Thou My Vision together.  We have fun playing around with different harmonies if no one’s in the chapel at the time.  We did this in Germany several years ago as well as New Zealand just a month ago.  Wow, has it already been a month since the cruise? 
Inside the Chocolate Shop
I walked along Pitt Street where there are high-end stores and shopping malls.  This is in the heart of the Central Business District, locally known as the CBD.  I found a cute chocolate shop where I talked with the owner who let me taste some treats for free.  He was a rugby player many years ago and even traveled to the States to tour and play there.  He had two employees making candy in the front window.  I would love to take up candy making. They were pouring chocolate onto wax paper and shaking sprinkles on top.
The Strand
They were also molding chocolate into figurines.  This candy shop was in “The Strand”, a nice row of stores and cafes off of Pitt Street, covered and multi layered, similar to the Restaurant in Melbourne I ranted and raved about.  I found some lunch and the grocery store to purchase more Coke Zero for Diane and then went back to the hotel.  Then Diane and I went to an upper echelon roof top restaurant in the harbor.  We had a view of the bridge while we enjoyed wine, Salmon, Pork, and a complimentary spoonful of a fish delicacy, complete with a garnish of caviar.  I felt very privileged.


View from our Roof Top Restaurant
Of course, to top it all off, I enjoyed another bubble bath with my book and some Coke Zero.  There is something simply harmonious about bubble baths.  I spent a few hours in the tub, again resulting in pruned digits.  

1 comment:

  1. Visit this blog, of a scholarly friend, for more input and insight into the Kony Campaign.

    http://scholar-redeemer.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/thoughts-on-kony.html?spref=fb

    ReplyDelete