Saturday, March 17, 2012

Darling Harbor and Churches


Saturday, March 3
I spent the night at the hotel with Diane and in the morning I swam laps in the amazing indoor pool again.  Then I took Diane to airport via train.  I wanted to make sure she got there in one piece, especially with her multiple suitcases.  It’s difficult to travel by train with many bags.  We made it there and then I turned back around on the bus back into town.  I figured I’d enjoy the town while I’m here.  So, I went to Darling harbor.  It was drizzling, but I didn’t let that stop me.  I found a quaint café with free Internet and checked emails and worked on my blog.  I had a delicious ham sandwich and chocolate shake.   Then I found a beauty salon and had my first massage ever.  It was utter tranquility.  The girl massaged my neck and shoulders so well.  At times it was a bit hard, but it was worth it.  I was not tense for the first time in ages.  When she finished, I may or may not have drooled on the cloth around the hole where my head lay. 

Sunday, March 4-
I attended two different churches today.  The first one in the morning was Christian City Church, also known as C3.  Jerry and Emila recommended it.  I didn’t realize it was a Pentecostal church until I arrived.  It’s very similar to the Stone, only not as sound on their theology.  But it has been very enlightening and educational for me to attend different types of churches.  I liked parts of the church, but there were other unsettling parts as well.  For example, they led worship with a band including 4 solo singers who were also broadcasted on the 3 large screens before us.  They had video camera men zooming in on their faces and hands for the screens, just like a concert.  The band was contemporary with a good sound quality.  But the close ups on the screen were a bit much, if not distracting.  Why would I want to watch a girl or guy sing on a large screen instead of, I don't know, actually worship God?  The purpose of the screens was originally for the words of the music.  Ironic, then, that I struggled to read the tiny print on the small upper portion of the screen, but could make out every detail in the singer’s face.  It was very much like a live production or concert.  This is like many other large churches, including Hill Song and Austin Stone, and I understand they are trying to entice people in.  But something is lost because of that.
However, the people were so friendly.  Heather, a girl sitting in front of me, asked me to sit with her group and then invited me to her Bible study and introduced me several  people.  Other church members offered me tea afterwards and told me of other opportunities to get involved.  One young man told me about a Wednesday night young adults service. 
However, the theology was slightly off as well: The preacher kept saying that we are so special, so God loved us and then sent his son.  He also discussed hard times, but then passionately talked about how the sun will come up tomorrow and you will be blessed if you love God. He was inspiring the people to follow and obey God, but he made it sound like an “if, then” statement- If you obey and love God, then you will be blessed and have a good life.  It sounds good, but we aren't promised good times if we follow him.  And God doesn't love us because we are special.  We are worthless but he loves us anyway.  It's little differences like this that rub me the wrong way.  
So, relationally, C3 seems like the perfect fit- I would love all the people and make friends my age.  BUT, I don't know if I can deal with the glorified worship band and slightly off theology.
During the day, I went to Manly beach and read some in my book.  Then I went to the second church that evening.   I attended St. Andrews, an Anglican church next to Town Hall in downtown Sydney.  It was very traditional.  The congregation was wholly made of couples and old people. But the sermon was incredible, like the sermons of Matt Cassidy (Grace Covenant) or Matt Carter (Austin Stone) or Matt Blackwell (FEFC) – The preacher included good imagery.  It was relatable yet to the point and brutally honest, and completely focused on scripture.  He was discussed consumerism and the focus of wealth.  So, the only problem with this church is that it's really far for me to get there- it takes an hr to get there by a bus and train. And there are very few young people there at all.  I want to make friends my age to hang out with. I guess I could play scrabble or monopoly with the congregation, or go to couples dinners and be the awesome odd man out- single and mingling with the couples is always fun- note the sarcasm.  
So, I plan tot continue visiting other churches. I also want to visit Hill Song. I have a connection there from a friend at work.  Her friend's husband actually works for Hill Song, at the seminary there.  I didn't know that they had a seminary/Bible college.  It should be an experience to be at the church that I have heard so much about.  Back home, we sing songs like Hosanna, a song Hill Song wrote.  How cool will that be?

No comments:

Post a Comment