Sunday, June 24, 2012

Harps and Lawn Bowling


Monday, May 21st
We woke up early to drive back to Townsville before my flight at 2.  The countryside was gloomier on the way back, with heavy rainfall.  No wonder it’s so green here.
The kindle is a traveler’s best friend.  My flight was delayed but I didn’t mind at all because I was happily in another world with my kindle and ipod.  When we did board the plane, I quickly nestled into my seat, unfortunately not a window seat this time. Sad day.  I continued to read until we made it to Sydney.  It was tragic to watch the sun flicker on the seats but not really be able to see what was just outside the window.  I can only imagine what the sunset must have looked like over Sydney.  It was painful for me to not be in a window seat but I made it, just barely.  Then, I exited the plane, ready for my long trek back home via train, bus and then car.  Tired but back in Frenchs Forest, I walked in only to find…. the harp!!! Jerry picked up the rental harp while I was away and it’s now here!! I was so excited.  I started screaming and found nail clippers right away.  I can’t bare the sounds of long nails on a harp.  Then I tuned the harp.  Once all tuned, I sat down and started to play.  This 36-string lever harp has a surprisingly full sound.  I was so impressed and delighted.  My fingers instantly remembered what to do and danced on the strings, making music to my heart.  I was one with the harp. I was whole.  What a perfect ending to a wonderful weekend of adventure and exploration.  I could express those feelings through my music.  I let out a big sigh through my notes and released the songs in my head that had been trapped momentarily.  The wheels in my head started turning.  I will play this harp on the cliffs at Curl Curl.  

Friday, May 25th
I skipped over to Amy’s to get ready after work. We went into the city for the light show on the Opera House, but we were too late for the main production.  It was still neat to see images projected on the shell rooftops of the Opera House. 

Then we meandered into an Irish pub and talked over a beer.  We took the ferry back to Manly to meet up with a few of Amy’s friends.  I love water transportation.  Then I spent the night with Amy and watched Glee episodes.  Overall good night.


Saturday, May 26th
I had to watch the kids while Emila and Jerry went to a school function.  Amy came over to have a fun game night with the kids.  We splurged and got KFC and then played a bored game, card game and Just Dance.  We couldn’t stop laughing.  Once the kids went to sleep, Amy and I watched “How I Met Your Mother” with a glass of wine.  I love that show!

Sunday, May 27
What a sunny and fresh day!  We woke up and I made pancakes for the fam and Amy.  Then we made our way to lawn bowling, an outdoor sport in Australia, similar to pin bowling.  The object of the game is to roll weighted balls as close to the "jack" or "kitty" at the other end of the flat green.  Amy and I were the only bowlers under the age of 50.  I have to say, I really liked the sport and demographic it tends to allure.  We were the out-of-country, backs-not-hurting, legs-still-working, hair-not-greying celebrities. The Roseville Lawn Bowling club was having a recruitment day.  They taught us how to bowl, had us for free lunch and a beer.  We socialized with our new elderly friends and then said good-bye, hopeful of returning.  It was legendary. And I wasn't half bad at this outdoor bowling.  It's difficult to judge how the ball is going to curve or how hard to toss/roll the ball.  But it makes for an interesting sport. 


After snapping back to reality, Mary and I met at a bistro for hot chocolate and caught up.  We also ate dinner at the Stein Hotel on the beach.  It was yummy.  At 6:30pm I made my way to church.  It’s great knowing a lot of people at church now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment