Thursday, May 31, 2012

Another Week in Paradise


Monday, 7 May 
Super exhilarating day- Laundry, ironing, dishes, sweeping, Skype with Carolyn, Mom and Mary.  But you need the regular days to prepare for the exciting days, right?  I realized I kinda like the down days.  And guess what? My plan worked.  After telling myself everyday that I like ironing, I'm starting to not mind it so much now.  To make this chore more interesting, I've been watching a documentary called The Life of Mammals by David Attenborough.  I've learned and seen quite a lot while ironing :) After that, it was great catching up with family back home. How incredible to see someone across the world on my laptop screen and be able to talk like they are sitting right here with me. See, Australia isn't that far away! 

Tuesday, 8 May
I was invited to “Newish Night” at pastor Bruce’s for crumpets and tea to learn more about the church and get to know people. I met a nice girl from Finland, Satu, and enjoyed sweet and savory treats while talking to other kind people.  It was so welcoming.  

Wednesday, 9 May
Since it's getting cold outside, but I still want to snorkel, swim laps and learn how to surf, I bought a wet suit in Mosman today! J Su’s boyfriend was a surf instructor so he let me know of the good, affordable place to go.  Then I picked up Mary and went to Shelly Beach- I swam there and snorkeled around shelly beach and saw some diverse types of fish.  I even saw a school of “squid-like” fish.  So cool!  Then we layed out- it was actually 26°C J yay sun!  When I taught my kids last year in Science how to remember the temperatures in Celsius, I taught them a song and it goes like this:  

30 is hot
20 is nice
10 is cool and
0 is ice!

(That should help you when I refer to the temperature or weather in Celsius.  I'm still getting used to cooking temperatures, but at least I'm used to the weather in Celsius now.)

Friday, 11 May
I went out with Amy in Manly- met weird guys, but Amy’s cool.  She lives 5 minutes away from me, so we’re excited about our new friendship.  She’s from Canada and also a nanny here.  We have similar interests: wine, She's the Man, New Girl, traveling, Harry Potter, children, lawn bowling and chilling.  We will do great things together. Meagan would appreciate her as well. 

Saturday, 12 May

I went on a hike with Amy and Mary from Freshwater to Curl Curl and showed them my secret spot there.  Then, we went back to Manly and chowed down on chicken burgers at the Styne Hotel.  Then we got ready at Amy’s and watched She’s the Man.  We went out for a bit, but I came back early with Mary and stayed at her place.



Out with the girls Saturday Night
Sunday, 13 May 
Screaming kids at Mary’s jolted us to a disgruntled wake.  Joy of all joys. (notice the sarcasm) Then, I took a bus back home.  Amy came over and I gave her a French manicure while we talked/quoted the last Harry Potter movie.  Then I went to church followed by Ivanhoe for a beer with some friends. 

Monday, 14 May
I really want my dream to come true of making some cool music videos in favorite spots around the world.  So today, I looked for a videographer and found a guy in Manly.  I also sent in my application for teaching job at South Austin.  My Mom’s friend works at a school there, so I might have an in. But back to Australia-   We still don’t have the harp.  I need to pick it up or figure out how we can get it.  And of course, laundry and ironing.  Then I went over to Amy’s to watch New Girl- a funny sitcom we like watching together. We giggled most of the time.

Tuesday, 15 May
I packed for my long weekend trip and then went to a new small group with the church from 8-9:30pm for new comers.  One of the head pastors walked us through the gospel and the vision of the church.  We also talked amongst one another.  I read some of the scripture aloud, without even thinking that I sounded different.  But everyone there loved me reading because of my accent.  I thought the same about them.  I could listen all day to an Australian reading the words of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment